Raymond Angelo is the Exoticoption.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What's Up Doc?

There's something very wrong with our Polyclinics. If it takes 2 hours for a patient to get a consultation, you know something's wrong.

I was down for the count today. I dragged myself to the Polyclinic...I didn't want to spend so much money you see, going to the private doctor. I regretted that decision like crazy...I nearly went crazy at the Polyclinic too.

Here's how it works at a Polyclinic, just for the benifit of those who haven't been to one. First, you get a queue number and WAIT. After the wait, the queue number empowers you to talk to one of the counter-people and you'll tell them your ailments and stuff. Afterwhich, you get another queue number to go to the waiting room to WAIT for your turn to see the doctor. Once at the doctor, you do the usual, leave for the payment counter to WAIT for your turn to pay, and then you have to WAIT for your turn to get your medicine.

Wait a minute. Clearly, something's very wrong with this system.

I got the shock of my life when a digital sign showed that the average waiting time was 2hrs 30 minutes. I swore in every single language I knew (PUTANG INA MO!).

You get the first queue number from a machine with a TOUCH-SCREEN. For a place which isn't even air-conditioned, this came as a surprise. This is more shocking because most of the patrons of the Polyclinic were the elderly. No discrimination here, but they're eldeds, and I don't think they're up-to-date with...touching that magic-rectangle. They probably think they'd get electrecuted. I lined-up to use the machine, and in-front of me was a bunch of elders.

In front of the elders was a machine. Behind them was a non-chinese speaking guy. It's like being trapped between a rock and a hard-place.

Eventually, an operator came and helped them out, but phew, did it take awhile.

Anyways, hooray for high-technology, but when you think about it, IT DOESN'T HELP! Firstly, the same number of people are in-front of you, so you're not going to see the doctor any sooner. Next, what about the illiterate? Also, some people can't tell what's wrong with them; how's a machine supposed to know? Sometimes, good old man-power is good enough. Lastly, it doesn't save on labour-costs because now, you have to employ someone to teach people how to operate the darn thing.

Fiack. Common sense is rare.

So, with the number dispensed from the machine in hand, you talk to some lady and get another queue number. You're designated one of many consultation rooms...

But alas, problem time! At the consultation rooms, they have a certain order...but it's not numerical! It's totally random...which makes it difficult to judge how long you're going to wait for! Thus, you've got to wait there like an idiot...stoning like mad. I hated it. I couldn't read my book, cause I felt like shit, and...there was basically nothing to do lah.

"Look ma, a TV!"
"BUT IT'S OFF!"

Why can't they have a messaging system? If they've got touch-screens, I'm sure it won't be a hassle to have messages sent to those whose turn is coming up. I could have grabbed lunch, walked around in that space of time...instead of waiting...cheering when it gets near to my number, then groaning in a mixture of shock and disgust when the number goes back by 50 numbers.

Waiting too, depends on the luck of the draw. Some doctors take longer than others, so your line moves slower. Take this for example:

This is outside my consultation room.


This is the outside of other consultation rooms.


The number there is 2489. My number is 2441. WTF lah...they came at least 20 minutes after I did, yet they got to see the doctor sooner. It's kinda unfair.

I saw the doctor for abit; he was nice, I must admit. Asked awkward questions though. "Do you ride a motorbike?" "Do you smoke?"

I almost sial-ed. Thank god I didn't. He might have come up with the wrong conclusions.

Got my medicine, and went home. The wait wasn't worth it. I'm going to Raffles next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter