Raymond Angelo is the Exoticoption.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Belvedere FTW

Yesterday was a damn long day. Longlonglong. And it was supposed to be a half-day too.

Why Half-day? It's the 50th Sport's Day mah. The school halted it's normal functions, and uprooted the whole population to Queentown Stadium. Funny thing, I was riding the bus to school yesterday mroning and I realised I didn't know how to get to the stadium. Thank god some juniors helped me find the way. I feel so noob, I've been going to the stadium for the past 3 years, yet I've no clue how to get there, without a taxi that is.

The event I was participating in yesterday was PushBall; think rugby, only with less strategy. It involves 12 player on each team, a field, and one ginormous ball. The goal is for one team to push the ball to the end of the field; hence the name. Simple concept, but a pain in the ass to execute. It's fucking fun, for the competitors but perhaps not for the specatators, since all you see are 24 guys pushinga ball, which is moving ever-so-slowly.

Bonds made through muscle...haha...that's what pushball is lah. All your distinctions disappear; nothing matters anymore, except the ball and your teammates. It's a bit of a homophobic game, where guys are touching/hugging/making intimate contact with other guys. Just imagine...a guy telling other guys to "PUSH!!! C'MON!!! MORE!!!!! HARDER!!!!! FUCK!!!!!!PUSH!!! YEAH!!" It sounds so perverse but it was fun. Imagine if girls played pushball, that'll be even more fun.

We played 4 matches; winning two, drawing one, and losing one.

Match 1: VS Alexandra
At first we thought that we were going to get a default win (they had only 7 players at first) but life's not that simple. They managed to gather players and the game was on. We had no strategy at all. We all just chionged. Nabei. Shouldn't have lah. They got a fast break and scored once. We tried fighting back, but damn, it was too little too late. End scoreline: 1-0 to them.

Match 2: VS Commonwealth
I sat this one out. Hurt my back because one of my own players elbowed me. They weren't the strongest team, Commonwealth. We pushed them. End scoreline: 1-0 to us.

Match 3: VS Dundee
Now this one was a toughie. Dundee was easily the best team out of the 5 on the field. They were strong man. They beat every team they faced, except us that is. We drew :-), and we're satisfied with that.

Match 4: VS Strathsmore
Win. Quite straighforward.

And surprise surprise, we were tied with Alexandra for 2nd place. As a result, a tie breaker was held.

Match 5: VS Alexandra AGAIN
We had a plain stupid strategy in this round. It was to push the ball up, and once it's on the air, push it forward. BACKFIRED! I tried telling them the flaw lah; that we simple weren't tall enough to push the ball once it was up high, but my opinions were dismissed. Alas, the ball was pushed up, one of Alexandra's tall guys pushed it forward, and their fastest guy ran with the ball to the end. Scoreline; 1-0 to them.

In the end we got bronze, but it was fun lah.

Belvedere was the over-all champion this year. I'm so proud. Props to Glen for being such an awesome house captain; to our awesome runners and to the pushball team. We didn't get first by not trying, know? It's our last year, and it feels good to leave it knowing that we're the champions. Feel bad for Jiaw lah, he got first for 3 events, but he didn't go up at all during the prize presentation because once again, the prizes screwed up. Haiz.

I sustained a few injuries here and there because of the sports day; on my back, knee and ankle. My back was because I got elbowed in pushball, while the knee and ankle...haiyah...I was climbing the steps and I was hopping/dancing up. I missed a step, fell down, hit my knee agains the edge of a step and shouted "Cheebye!". Thank god only a few dudes saw and I just smiled at them. Grace is being able to smile, when you've danced your way to embarassment.

We went for lunch at one hawker centre across the stadium. Me and a bunch of people. Had chicken rice+2glasses of bandung and stole some carrot cake from Bing Yu and Ryan. Why call it carrot cake though? It doesn't taste like carrot, and from what i've been told, it hardly contains any....ahh...when I die this is one of the questions I'm gonna ask HIM, this and the meaning of life, and why men have nipples and all the other glorious mysteries in life.

I, TahNern, BingYu, Ringo and Yan SHan, went to shan's house after lunch. Played a bit of mahjong. I can't believe I still remember how to play it. The only thing i've fogotten is the tiles with numbers on them...one is one slash, two is two slashes, three is three slashes and at four, well they throw the concept of slashes out of the window and come up with new rules. I saw YanShan's brother, YanTing. Both of them have girly-ass names. His brother is quite cute lah, so small, so black, talk very fast like a bollywood actor.

After TahNern and BingYu went for their respective tutions, we went over to school to support our C-boys soccer team in their south-zone quarter finals game. Quite boring lah, live soccer. I prefer watching it on the couch, where they give you instant replays and the best camera angles. We lost, 1-0. Haiz.

Met with TahNern and BingYu again at GWC to watch "Take The Lead". I ate dinner first...three-piece chicken meal. *SHOCK* WHy three-piece? I was...gae-siaoing with they guy at the counter lah...I said "two-piece" but I pointed at the "three-piece" picture.

The movie wasn't too bad. It's a based-on-a-real-story movie, all inspirational and stuff. This guy goes to a school and volunteers to teach dance to a bunch of kids living in the 'hood. They learn to respect said guy (played by Antonio Bandarasami) , find some conflicts, over come it and dance in a competition, which they obviously don't win but have fun in anyway, Many characters, but not developed very well. Lacked focus, but the dancing parts were awesome. Rumb, Foxtrot, Salsa, Waltz, who wants to join a dance class with me?

Screwed around GWC 'til around 10, and went home because I scared kana caught by the police.

Day ended on an overall low I guess. Have you ever had one of those moments when you thought everything was fine, then it all shatters in front of you? And then you cry, not because of how fucked-up things are, but because you realise that even though you're involved, there's nothing you can do about it. I hate being helpless.

Motion's out. Something about sportsteams and violence. It wasn't the motion that was bothering me though. It's our side; and we got the worse one; the OPPOSITION SIDE. Prop's so much easier, no rebuttals, and longer time to write your reply speech.

All the best to us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Locations of visitors to this page Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter